South African Government Notice R 89 dated 6 February 2009 published in Government Gazette 31844 introduced compulsory safety standards for electrical and electronic apparatus. Government Notices R.1164 and R.1165 dated 15 August 2003 published in Government Gazette 25306 introduced the new requirements for low and medium voltage electric cables. Government Notice 1010 dated 21 October 2005 in Government Gazette 28122 introduced compulsory safety standards for incandescent lamps. Government Notice R 90 dated 6 February 2009 published in Government Gazette 31844 introduced compulsory safety standards for lamp control gear. Government Notice R.348 dated 7 May 2010 published in Government Gazette 33152 introduced compulsory safety standards for compact fluorescent lamps. To standardize with International Standards, the standards adopted were the International Electrotechnical Commission’s (IEC) Standards. LOA’s are required by all manufacturers and importers of commodities that fall under the scope of the above compulsory specifications (VCs) prior, to the importation and sale of the product. This LOA will only be issued after the successful evaluation of the proof of compliance submitted. A memorandum of agreement between SARS (Customs & Excise) and NRCS also ensures stringent import control, such that no importer will be granted market entry into South Africa for commodities that fall under the scope of the relevant compulsory specifications unless they are in possession of an original valid LOA for the specific commodities.
1.1 VC 8055: Compulsory Specification (VC) for the Safety of Electrical and electronic apparatus.
The following are examples of standards that are covered by this:
- SANS IEC 60335: Safety of household appliances, eg. kettles, irons, stoves,
refrigerators, commercial catering equipment, etc.
- SANS IEC 60065: Safety of audio-visual equipment and similar electronic apparatus,
eg. TV’s, music systems, DVD players, radios, etc.
- SANS IEC 61029: Safety of transportable motor-operated electrical tools, eg. circular
saws, grinders, etc.
- SANS IEC 60598: Safety of general purpose and fixed luminaries including power
factor of SANS 475 (Performance requirements)
- SANS IEC 60745: Safety of hand-held motor-operated tools, eg. drills, sanders, etc.
- SANS IEC 60950: Safety of information technology equipment and related equipment, eg. computers, printers, copiers, etc.
Below is a real time product listing of GlobTek power supplies with South African LOA: